• GET HELP 24/7
Get Answers Now LET'S TALK
October 25, 2021

Underage DUI Charges in Michigan

October 25, 2021

Consuming alcohol when under the age of 21 is illegal in Michigan. Just the simple act of drinking alcohol if you’re 21 or under is punishable, so if you’re caught operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol content of .02 to .07, you’ll be arrested. Minor DUI is a serious offense in Michigan, and must be taken seriously regardless if the first offense doesn’t result in jail time. 

So, if the first offense doesn’t call for any jail time, what happens if a minor is found guilty of driving while intoxicated? Solid question with answers most 21 and under won’t be happy to face.


Minor DUI Charges

Any person, regardless of age, can be convicted of driving drunk when they have a blood alcohol content of at least .02% but less than .08%. If you’re under the age of 17, you’ll be charged as a juvenile. However, the charge will stay on your record and if you’re charged a second time, it’s considered a second offense and carries jail time. It’s important to contact a lawyer to learn more about the differences between charges against a juvenile as opposed to charges against an adult.


Punishments for Underage DUI

When you’re found guilty and formally charged with a minor DUI, depending on whether it’s a first offense or second offense, the punishments are all harsh. If it’s your first offense, you won’t have jail time, but you will pay a fine, which can be up to $250. Community service will be required, but with a first offense, a 30-day license suspension isn’t mandatory. There’s an opportunity to obtain a restricted license, which allows the minor to drive, but has limitations such as the times of day one can drive. 


If you’re dealing with a second underage DUI charge, you can be given up to 93 days of jail time. The fine can go up to $500, and community service increases to up to 60 days. As for the suspension of your license? Not only is there no getting out of this, it will be instituted for 90 days. Even more punishment: you have to pay a fee to have your license reinstated. 


Talk to an Experienced DUI Attorney

If you’re a minor, or the parent of a minor, who was stopped while driving intoxicated, it’s imperative to speak to a knowledgeable DUI lawyer. The Schwartz Law Group offers effective legal guidance, and when hired, we’ll provide solid representation in your underage DUI charges. 


Don’t go it alone when facing Michigan DUI charges for minors. Call 248-930-5019 the experienced DUI law team at the Schwartz Law Group 24/7 for help.